Scale of Policy
Surtex Instruments seeks to implement a code of conduct, which is appropriate in nature and scale to the Company and in line with its status, as defined by EU law, as an SME. The code of conduct is based on internationally recognized standards set out in the NHS Supplier Code of Conduct and the UN Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
Scope of the Policy
Surtex Instruments has applied this policy in anticipation of becoming a supplier to NHS via the following framework agreement:-
- NHS-SC Framework Agreement for Surgical Instruments
Policy Review and Continual Improvements
Surtex Instruments will review this policy periodically in line with LSAS policy and legislation changes, in order to ensure the adequacy, suitability and continuing effectiveness of the policy.
Minimum Labour Standards
Surtex Instruments has identified the following reasons to establish a comprehensive system of Minimum Labour Standard to guide its business operations.
- Ethical Responsibilities: Surtex Instruments accepts its obligations to its employees, customers, communities and suppliers within our business activities and the importance of operating in an ethical manner.
- Risk of Supply: Surtex Instruments has identified that labour standards abuses in supply chains can pose a risk to the security of supply. Any supply chain partners perpetrating abuses face legal enforcement action which could damage business and obstruct continue of supply.
- Adverse Publicity and Damage to Reputation: Discovery of labour standards abuse presents a reputation and structural risk
- Business income - customers may choose to purchase supplies and services from other sources.
- High staff turnover and new recruitment may be negatively affected as potential employees may choose not to work for a company associated with any labour standards abuses, this could also lead to low morale in the work place.
- Loss of trust with customers and suppliers within the wider community.
- Quality of Goods and Services: Surtex Instruments is aware that there is a link between poor labour standards and poor quality of goods and services. Therefore it is imperative that suppliers to Surtex Instrument adhere to the minimum standards at all times.
We have referred to the following resources while compiling the reasons documented above:-
Social Accountability International SA8000
UN's Universal Decleration of Human Right